Sunday, December 12, 2010

An Eater's Worst Nightmare

Well, maybe not worst.  But pretty bad, all the same, especially if it's cold and snowy and you have little food left in the house.

I was eating leftover chicken and potatoes.  Had reheated in the micro, was about to sit down with a nice glass of Pinot Grigio.  Needed to season the plate with a little salt and pepper, both of which, in my house, come in grinders.  Can you see where this is going?

The pepper went on just fine-- a light dusting of black specks.  The salt, however, was another matter.  The whole grinder-lid fell off, along with about a quarter of the jar of sea salt.  Sad, sad day.

Fortunately, because it was unground sea salt, I was able to scrape or pick off most of it.  Still, it was a very sorry, salty, disappointing dinner.  I thought about just ditching it and going to Applebee's or something, but my paycheck hasn't gone through yet so my bank account is dangerously low, plus there's about a foot of snow still covering my parking lot that I don't feel like walking or driving through.

No comments:

Post a Comment