Saturday, October 1, 2011

Green Tomato Pie

There were green tomatoes and tomatillos in my CSA box this week, and there are green tomatoes on the plants outside.  I decided to try and use some of them in green tomato pie.  Just to clarify: this is a sweet, not savory, pie.  It's basically apple pie, with green tomatoes instead of apples.  All the spices are the same.

I started by slicing the tomatoes and tomatillos, then cooking them a bit in water.  Lots of recipes for GTP online note that the filling is often very loose and wet-- not ideal for pie.  If I'd had some tapioca pearls, I would've use that, but since I didn't, I decided to try cooking the tomatoes first, then draining them before mixing with spices etc.
Green!
Then I mixed in cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, ginger, allspice, and a little vanilla extract.  You know me, I don't measure stuff; I just added enough until it tasted and smelled right.  The filling was still kinda watery, so instead of dumping the whole pot into the crust, I used a slotted spoon to remove the tomatoes, then poured just a little of the spiced juice in with them.

(Note: I also made my own pie crust, which if you recall I'm not that good at.  Let's not go into that.)

Then you put the top crust on, and put it in the oven at 350 for 45 minutes or so.  It might take longer than that, I dunno.  Leave it in until it's done.

PIE!
Let it cool a bit, then cut a slice for yourself.  Okay, okay, you guys can have some too.

Kind of ugly, isn't it?
It's not the most attractive pie in the world, but it's pretty tasty.  I will say that the seeds and skins from the tomatoes are a little weird in pie.  It might be better (albeit more work) to remove the skins at least before putting it in the pie.

Verdict: not bad, but probably won't make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment