Sunday, June 19, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Pie and I have a love-hate relationship.  I love to eat it, I love to help other people make it, but when it comes to making it myself, I hate it.  Not all of it, actually, but just making the crust.  I can never seem to get the right balance between wet-enough-to-clump-together and too-wet-so-it-sticks-to-everything.  Then there's the rolling; mine never come out round or close to round and I never know how thin or thick to make them.

Despite these challenges, I decided to make pie yesterday.  And since it's in season, I decided to make Strawberry Rhubarb pie.
Filling:
Mix together flour, sugar, rhubarb, and strawberries.



Let sit for 30 minutes, so the juices come out.  Meanwhile, roll out the crust (which you have prepared earlier).  Put it in the bottom of your pie plate/tin/whatever.


After 30 minutes, pour in the filling mixture, and sort of press it around so it's evenly distributed.


Next, roll out the second crust, place on top, and pinch the edges.  If you're really fancy, you can do a lattice top, but I was already so frustrated with just the regular crust that I let it be.  You're supposed to put dabs of butter on the filling, before putting on the crust, but I forgot, and so had to slip butter in through the slits on top.  Whoops.


If you like, brush the top with egg yolk and sprinkle with sugar.  This will give the top a glazed, shiny look.  Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown on top.  I had to put some foil around the edges for the last ten minutes or so.  If you have one, you could use a pie shield.

Voila!  Pie!
Here's the important part: let the pie cool completely before trying to cut it.  I made this pie last night, and didn't cut it until lunchtime today.  Reviewers on Allrecipes complained of the insides being too runny; the ways to avoid that are 1) make sure you let the filling mixture sit long enough and 2) let the pie cool all the way.  Once it's all the way cool, slice yourself a piece and go to springtime heaven.


No comments:

Post a Comment