Thursday, August 26, 2010

Book Review: Peter and the Starcatchers

Peter and the Starcatchers
by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson

I loved this book!  Such a good adventure story.  If you've never heard of it, it's essentially the story of how a boy named Peter met a very mean captain and ended up on an island called Never Land.  It is certainly aimed at older children and younger teens, but it's one of the best in that genre that I've read.  The villain(s) are perfectly abhorrent, the heroes are brave yet vulnerable, and the stupid characters are laughable.

My favorite line occurs when one of the villains is trying to find out what he's being attacked by:
"Coconuts.  Children are beating me senseless with coconuts."

I was reading this on the plane from Minnesota to Philadelphia, and I actually laughed out loud when I read that.  My seatmates gave me strange looks.

Grade: A+.  Recommended to all children's-adventure-book-lovers.

Apparently, this is only the first of a series of FOUR.  Guess what three books are going on my "to-read" list?

No comments:

Post a Comment