Monday, August 2, 2010

Stuffed Green Peppers

[Note: eventually, there will be photos to accompany food posts like this.  Not today though.]

Ingredients
2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
3-4 green bell peppers
onions (I used green onions, because that's what I had, but you can use whatever), diced
corn (I used fresh off the cob, but again, whatever you have on hand)
cornbread crumbs (Mine were from some old, frozen cornbread muffins, crumbled)
pepperjack cheese
cumin
garlic salt
~ 2 T. butter
milk or cream (optional)

Start by cutting the tops off the peppers and scooping out the seeds/membranes.  Set aside.  Cook chicken in frying pan, turning once, until no longer pink in the middle.  Remove from pan, and dice.  (You could also dice it first, then cook it.  I try to avoid handling raw meat as much as possible, so I usually cook first, and cut later.  But it's up to you.)  De-glaze pan with water (or wine, if you're feeling adventurous); add butter, diced onions, and corn.  Cook until onions are translucent.  Add diced chicken and cornbread crumbs, and more butter if necessary.  Stir until heated through; add a splash of milk or cream to help hold it together.  (If you don't add the milk, the stuffing will be very crumbly; if you add too much, it will be mush.)  Add cumin and garlic salt to taste (I used a lot because I have a head cold).  Remove pan from heat, and stir in diced or shredded cheese.  (If you use shredded, it will probably melt and help hold the stuffing together.  If you used diced, you end up with tasty little cornbread-coated cheese bits.  Mmm, cheese bits.)

Fill peppers with stuffing mixture; you will probably have some left over.  Place peppers on a cookie sheet or shallow baking dish.  (If you can place them upright, good for you, the stuffing will stay in.  I couldn't, but I didn't lose too much.)  Now here's where I started improvising.  Possibly, when making stuffed peppers, you're supposed to bake them at a certain temperature, or maybe broil them.  I'm not sure which is the accepted method.  I ended up doing both, because I was using my toaster oven to avoid heating up the whole oven for three little peppers.  I think what would work best is bake for a few minutes, then finish by broiling.  If you're really adventurous, you could add a little more shredded cheese on top during broiling, to get that nice browned-cheese effect.  You'll know the peppers are done when the outsides start to pucker just slightly, and maybe turn a little charred-looking.

Remove from oven, let cool, and serve.  They're very tasty all on their own, but I imagine could also be wonderful served with some cilantro-lime rice, or other such sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment