Monday, August 9, 2010

Garlic Crackers

[Note: please forgive the poor quality photos.  My digital camera is on the fritz (again), so these were taken on my cell phone.  So sorry.]

I like crackers.  They make me feel like I'm not really eating, at least not in the way I would be if I had a sandwich.  Plus the *crunch* is lovely and makes me feel fulfilled.  But I don't like paying $3 a box (yes, I know you can get them cheaper, but then they have HFCS and other nasty things in them.  So I buy Triscuts, which have none of those, and cost $3 a box.)  I've been toying with the idea of making my own-- after all, how hard can it be?  But I kept putting it off, and I finally figured out why: I have an irrational fear of making foods that require rolling.  I think it's really a fear of my own inadequacy; my mom and several of my friends are capable of making amazing pie crusts and fancy breads and pastries of various kinds.  I'm generally more of a "whatever" kind of cook, never worrying about if the food will look good or come out exactly like the picture.  Anyway, yeah, fear of rolling.  But having started to overcome this fear by making my own tortillas, I figured I was ready for crackers.  I found this recipe online, and it seemed easy enough, so I gave it a try.

My first try was a few days ago, making plain crackers with half the dough from the recipe.  They came out so well that I ate them all in a matter of days.  This time, I used the other half of the dough that I had kept in the freezer:
Check out my adorable little rolling pin!

You may notice that the cookie sheet is upside-down in the photo.  That's because I was going to try using the back of the sheet this time, to avoid stuck-on bits that I got last time.  Alas, it was too difficult to roll on the back of the sheet, so I flipped it back over.

Notice how little counter space I have?
Then, I cut the dough into squares:

And pricked them with a fork.
Does anyone know if this step is necessary?  It makes them look pretty, but otherwise seems pointless.
 I then sprayed them lightly with cooking oil and shook a little garlic salt over them.  Then into the 300 degree oven for a little over 20 minutes.  When they came out...


... you might notice how unevenly browned they are.  I'm not sure if that's due to my having a faulty oven, or having them too close to the top, or what, but it's really frustrating.  Grr.

Cell phone camera is not suitable for macro shots.
Only the deeper brown ones are actually crunchy.  The others are a little too thick and doughy to be crackers.  Like I said above, I'm more of a "whatever" cook, so I'll eat them anyway, but definitely a disappointment.  Maybe next time I'll divide the dough into three or four batches, so they can each be rolled out really thin.

In unrelated news, does anyone need some egg cartons?  I have lots.
Dunno if you can tell, but the one on the bottom is an 18-fer.

No comments:

Post a Comment