Monday, August 16, 2010

Raspberry Crisp

Recipe from The Pioneer Woman

I didn't actually measure my raspberries, and I have a sneaking suspicion that they were less than the required 2.5 cups.  Oh well.

I also forgot to take process photos.  Sorry.  But really, this was pretty easy.  Mix the berries with cornstarch, sugar, and vanilla extract, and set aside.  When you mix them, the berries tend to lose their structural integrity; I've decided that's okay, as they probably would lose it during cooking anyway.

The topping is oatmeal, sugar, brown sugar, flour, and butter all mashed together.  Normally I would have left it in the oven a little longer, to get the top nice and brown, but this is a housewarming gift for some friends who I am helping move tomorrow, so it will get some more time in the oven then.  [Should that have been "whom" in that last sentence?  My ear says yes, but my grammar logic says no.  Help!]

I also made some chocolate syrup to give them.  Really easy; just cocoa powder, sugar, and water in a pan on the stove.

In this photo, the syrup is cooling in a water bath.  I made sure my jar was relatively warm when I poured in the hot syrup, and now I am slowly cooling it in lukewarm (later to be refreshed with cool) water.  Don't ever put a glass jar of hot stuff in the fridge or freezer!  The extremes of temperature may cause it to break, resulting in loss of food and a giant, nasty, mess for you to clean up.

Aw man, now I have to avoid the temptation to try some of this before tomorrow.  It smells so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment